Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Shadow


Title: Shadow
Author/Illustrator: Marcia Brown
Stars: 4 out of 5

Summary: an African folktale explaining what a shadow is.

I chose to blog about this story because of how powerful and scary the imagery is. I love the fact that the story is dark and mysterious. I feel that if I was a kid reading this story I would probably be pretty afraid of my shadow. There is once specific part where the story talks about the shadows eyes are ash and it cannot see. There is a specifically scary picture of a shadow that looks old and mangled. I love this imagry because it makes me feel like my shadow is aged and has been a shadow for ages and ages. This story makes me feel a sense of wonder and respect for my shadow because it never speaks out yet it is always around. I think that stories like this are a great way for children to take a step back and look at the beauty of our world around us. As kids its hard to look at things and find beauty, but by exposing my students to a story like this they will be forced. I think I could have my students choose a simple object and have them write a poem about that object. It could be a poem about where the object came from or maybe the adventures that it has had so far. Overall I really enjoyed reading this mysterious story.

No comments:

Post a Comment