Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My People - Multi-Cultural

Title: My People
Author: Langston Hughes
Photographer: Charles R. Smith Jr.
Stars: 3 out of 5


Summary: Langston Hughes writes few words but they have a huge impact. In this story Hughes compares his people to the night, the stars, and the sun
(I found this book on a list of Multi cultural books and decided to blog on it becuase i do not really view it as a Multi Cultural book. I feel that based on the fact that the photographs are of black people does not really make it multi cultural. If I replaced all of the pictures with pictures of white people would the story still be multi cultural? I'm not sure, but to me it is not really multi cultural. )
This is a great story to use at a very primary age. Because there are big pictures and few words it’s a great way to get young readers reading and interested. i am currently in a practicum class and there is one student who I know would love this book. She is a 2nd grader but a very low level reader who reads books with few words. She has commented other books that use actual pictures and finds interest in real pictures of things such as informational books however these are usually too hard for her to read. I feel that giving her this book would combine her interest in pictures and her actual reading ability level.
I think the fact that the book has photographs instead of illustrations really ads to the overall tone of the story. I as the reader felt like I was seeing pictures of Hughes’s actual family, or his people. Although I really enjoyed looking at these pictures and reading the story, I do not think that I would be able to form a lesson around this story. It would be a great book to have in my library for students such as my second grade friend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment