Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Giver

Title: The Giver
Autor: Lois Lowry
Stars: 5 out of 5

Summary: The Giver is a story about a boy in a world of sameness. During the most important assembly of his life, he discovers that he will be the receiver of memories and cannot tell anyone what he experiences. In the end he realizes that this way of life is not fair.

                The Giver was a fun and exciting story to read. The whole time I was reading the story I wanted to find out more. I love stories that really make you think about your life and existence, and this did just that. Lowry sets up this utopian society which at first seems pretty normal. During the first couple chapters I did not understand how different this society was from our own. As the story goes on Lowry gives us metal pictures to explain how different this place is. My favorite part of the story was the concept of no color. I love how Lowry does not make it obvious that this place is black and white. We find it out along with Jonas. I love the mental image I got when The Giver tells Jonas that weird thing that was happening with the apple and Fiona’s hair. I loved the mysterious apple. I could not figure out what was going on with that apple and at first it made me a bit frustrated. Once I found out that it was the color red I thought it was awesome. I also loved how The Giver reveals the memories to Jonas. I love how we discover love with Jonas. I believe that this was a real turning point for Jonas. When he sees what his society is missing in love he really believes that it is wrong. He wants his people to experience things that will make them happy and he is confused why it has come to such sameness. I was thoroughly confused by the ending of the story, but I think that is how it is supposed to be. I think it would be fun to discuss this ending with my students. I could have them work in groups to come up with an explanation as to what happened and then they could share their evidence. The giver would be a really fun story to read with a class. I would want to make sure that I gave this book a long time in the classroom. I had a great time reading this story and am really going to try to find a place for it in my classroom.


No comments:

Post a Comment